Pages

Review: "Under Drake's Flag"

I don't usually write reviews for radio dramas besides AIO, but I believe that this is one that needs to be heard by everyone, including Odyssey fans. Today, I am reviewing the radio drama series, The Extraordinary Adventures of G.A. Henty and it's first production, Under Drake's Flag.


When I first heard about G.A. Henty, I wasn't very interested. I saw his books for sale in a catalog, but at the time I told myself  that I didn't want to read some old, boring book. For a long time, I forgot the books existed until I read online that a group of people were making one of the books into an audio drama. Naturally, I was interested as I love all kinds of radio dramas.

However, it was a little while before I finally listened to it. I don’t know why I didn't hear it sooner. One of the things that will capture right off the bat is the music. It’s compelling, exciting, and imaginative. After all, what else do we expect from our favorite music composer, John Campbell!

The story is about two young boys, friends Ned and Gerald. Both wind up sailing with the historical figure, Sir Francis Drake. The boys are fictional characters, but they feel like they must have been real. They experience many adventures and perils and along the way, they learn what it is to be a follower of Christ and to be a Godly man.

I’m currently in college right now. I’m taking a US History course and I learned about the events and areas that are found in this story. That made hearing this all the more interesting. I guarantee that you’ll want to be learning more about this time period and people like Drake by the time you’re done listening to it.

If you think that this is just a boring history lesson, think again. The whole drama is action packed throughout the whole thing, but it never misses an opportunity to incorporate real emotions and struggles along with great moral lessons. There were also several times I found myself laughing, crying, and sitting on the edge of my seat through the adventure. The only thing that I found a bit cheesy was the introduction and ending bookends to the drama. It doesn't take away from the enjoyment factor at all though.

By the time I had finished listening , I was in awe. The creative team did a superb job of taking a centuries old tale and made it more exciting and enthralling than any modern action-adventure movie could ever be. If you enjoy Radio Theatre or Lamplighter Theatre or just great storytelling, you will love this drama. Also, you’ll hear many actors from those other shows in this drama as well.

Overall, I’d give this drama 5 out of 5 stars. It’s a simply incredible drama with amazing storytelling and sound design. My whole family loved it and I’m sure yours will, too. I can’t wait for the next G.A. Henty radio drama!

 To get your copy on CD or MP3, visit HentyAlive.com.

Austin Peachey

Austin Peachey is a die-hard reader and audio drama fan. He's run the Adventures in Odyssey Blog for over 8 years and has produced a few audio dramas of his own. He's also worked on the 2nd edition of The Official Guide to Odyssey and can be heard on Phil Lollar's Iliad House.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think about this content. We would love to get your feedback!